Friday, May 29, 2009

Building the townwide learning community

http://www.valleybreeze.com/Free/BIZ-boyle-retires-w-Hed-shot-C-W-and-OBS

Good Morning:

As we consider leadership strategies for building the town wide learning community, I would ask us to consider approaching Clifton Boyle. He is a Cumberland resident, former Cumberland industrial arts teacher, first principal of Woonsocket Career and Tech School, and a Superintendent. He rose through the ranks at JWU and was founder of the doctoral program in education leadership. Tom and I (and now Rich D.) are all recent graduates. The article from the Breeze is linked above.

Ralph Jasparro is a Cumberland resident, JWU professor, former Superintendent and overall a very accomplished educational leader. I spoke with him about this effort to gauge his interest in participation. He was interested but I believe it was after I submitted names to the list.

A shared leadership model, that we've discussed, with education leaders, business/community leaders and parent leaders could lend itself to the so-called "big boy/girl" approach.

I know we have a full agenda for next time yet it would be helpful to define the role of the steering committee in terms of leadership, guidance and support for the group. I think it will help us to get to "yes" with the people we ultimately decide to ask to step forward.

Rosemary

No comments: